Every Single Question You Need to Ask Your Cake Baker
When it comes to choosing your wedding cake, the options are truly endless. Buttercream, ganache, or fondant? Sugar flowers or fresh blooms? Intricate piping or a rustic semi-naked style? And we haven’t even gotten to the shape or flavors yet! All those choices are exciting (and delicious!), but it can also get pretty overwhelming. To make sure your first sweet bite as newlyweds is everything you’ve imagined, we’ve rounded up the important questions you can’t forget to ask your cake baker before the wedding. Bon appetit!
● How long have you been in business?
Pro tip: Find a baker who has lots of experience making wedding cakes (not just baked goods!) because the construction and transportation of a cake is just as crucial as the flavors!
● What is your culinary background?
● How many wedding cakes do you make a year?
Before You Sign:
● Are you licensed and insured?
Pro tip: While this might seem like a strange question, most venues require a proof of insurance from any vendor working on the property (including delivering cakes!), so make sure your baker is covered.
● How many cakes do you deliver on the same day?
● How soon before the wedding will my cake be baked?
Pro tip: If your baker is making multiple wedding cakes per weekend, he or she may bake and chill or freeze the layers a few days in advance, then assemble your cake closer to your wedding date. Make sure the cake isn’t in the freezer too long, however, as this can really dry the layers out.
● What flavors and fillings do you offer?
● Do you have a set menu of flavor combinations, or can we mix-and-match cakes and fillings?
● What flavors are your specialties?
● What kinds of ingredients do you use? Do you offer organic, vegan, or gluten-free options?
● Is a tasting included in our fee? If not, how much will it cost?
Pro tip: Many bakers do charge a fee for a cake tasting, but will then apply that amount toward the final cost of your cake if you sign a contract.
● Will you do a tasting consultation, or will we simply be tasting the cake on our own?
Pro tip: Some bakers will do a consultation that includes a tasting of a number of flavors, plus a discussion of your cake design, while others will simply provide you with the flavors for you to taste on your own, then discuss design after you’ve signed the contract.
● Do you have a portfolio of past designs we can look at?
● Did you make all of the cakes in your portfolio?
Pro tip: Make sure the inspiration images your baker presents are of cakes he or she has made (and not just pretty ideas from Pinterest!), so you don’t fall in love with a design he or she has never made before!
● Do we need to choose from a set selection of designs, or do you create completely custom cakes?
● We have a few inspiration ideas. Can you recreate them?
● We have no idea what we’d like! Can you offer some design suggestions based on our budget and theme?
● Are your cakes finished in buttercream or with fondant?
● Can you make sugar flowers?
● We’d like to use fresh flowers on our cake. Can you work with our florist to do so?
Pro tip: Connect your baker and your florist to ensure the blooms you want on the cake are included in your wedding order. Your cake will be delivered without decorations, then your baker will apply the fresh blooms on-site.
● What size and shape should the tiers be to feed our guest list? How big should our cake be?
● How will the cake be displayed? Do you provide or rent cake stands?
● How do you price your cakes?
Pro tip: Most bakers charge per serving, meaning the price of your cake will depend on how many slices it includes.
● Do you have a minimum cost?
● Are there additional rental fees we should be aware of, such as for cakes tands, toppers, or cake knives?
● Is there a delivery fee?
● How much is the deposit? When is it due?
● When is final payment due?
● What is your refund policy if we need to cancel our order?
● When should we expect to receive a contract?